Yesterday I went to the Michael W. Smith concert, which was great!  I love Christmas music and MWS was the first christian artist that I remember listening to, so it was a great combination! Although he played "Friends" which is probably one of my least favorite songs of his, the arrangements and combinations of instrumental and vocal music was great!  Voice Avenue was there.  They are a group from Lee University that does 8 part accapella.  They were actually on the show "Sing off" last season.

So the concert was great, but that wasn't the best part!  Tanya and I volunteered to usher and we got to see the concert free...still is not the best part (although it was a nice perk)

The BEST part was this little old couple that sat in my section.  The lady used a walker and the man, a cane.  They reminded me of my own grandparents.  The section I was in had stairs going all the way down, so of course the lady couldn't use her walker.  We left the walker at the top and I took her arm to help guide her down the stairs to sit down.  Then I went back to get the man.  I helped him down too.  He was so sweet in making sure that her walker was going to be safe.  I told him that it was up at the top of the stairs and that I would be around the section all night.  I also told him that my grandfather used a walker and I knew how important it was for her to have that walker.

As I started to leave, he grabbed my hand and kissed it, looking up at me and saying, "Thank you for being so cheery and helpful!"  OH MY GOODNESS... talk about making a girl smile :) It was the most heartfelt and selfless compliment I have gotten in a while.  He was truly thankful for my help and it was awesome to be able to give that to him.

As the evening progressed, I would occasionally stop by their seats to see if they were okay.  Every time he would just touch my arm and smile :) At the end of the evening I saw that the woman had gotten her walker and they were on their way with their family that had come later.

I occasionally complain about having to help my grandparents.  I won't go into details because it really makes me sound ungrateful and I truly love and adore my grandparents.

But last night, helping that couple to the seats, made me realize that helping my grandparents and knowing how to support a person who cannot walk easily down the stairs had a bigger purpose.  This may seem small to a person looking in from the outside, but to me, it is just one more piece of evidence that God has a greater plan and puts things in our path for a reason.

1 comments:

Jenny said...

Miranda this was beautiful. What a nice man and what a nice thing for you to do. And you're right - God shows us huge things in the littlest most impactful ways.

About